What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of the cookie is that the website is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know, cookies have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor opens windows pop-up.
What information does a cookie store?
cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your DNI or personal information, etc. The data they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but associates it with your web browser. In fact, if you browse regularly with Internet Explorer and try to browse the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it is really associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
• Technical cookies: These are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous and registered user navigates, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
• Analysis cookies: They collect information about the type of navigation you are doing, the sections you use most, products consulted, time band of use, language, etc.
• Advertising cookies: They show advertising based on your navigation, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are own and third party cookies?
Own cookies are generated by the page you are visiting and those of third parties are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if we disable cookies?
So that you understand the scope that can have to deactivate the cookies we show you some examples:
• You cannot share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
• The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as it usually happens in online stores.
• You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as Our account, or Our profile or Our orders.
• Online stores: It will be impossible for you to make purchases online, they will have to be telephone or visiting the physical store if you have it.
• It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences as time zone, currency or language.
• The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
• You cannot write on the blog, you cannot upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
• Sectoral advertising cannot be displayed, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the website.
Can cookies be deleted or blocked?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To delete cookies from a website you must go to the configuration of your browser and there you can search the associated to the domain in question and proceed to its removal.
To block cookies from the pages you visit or from third parties you must also access the settings of your browser.
Configuration, blocking and deletion of cookies for the most popular browsers
GOOGLE CHROME: I’m going to tell you how to access a certain cookie of this browser, how to delete it or how to block them in general.
These steps are for version 68.0.3440.106 of the Google Chrome browser, so they may vary depending on whether you have a different version of it. To know the version of your browser you must go to the 3 dots that are on the top right, then choose Help and finally Google Chrome Information.
Follow the steps described below:
- You must Personalize and control Google Chrome by clicking on the personalization icon that appears on the top right (the 3 dots).
- Now you have to click on Settings.
- On the new page that appears, you slide down and click on Advanced Settings.
- Now download a little more to the first box that is Privacy and Security.
- You select the Content configuration option (Controls the information that websites can use and the content they can show you).
- In the new window that appears the first of all options is cookies, click on it.
- In the next window you can block cookies according to your tastes.
- In the last 3 options you can give Block, Delete when leaving or Allow specific websites, if you prefer.
- Remember that if you uncheck the option Allow sites to save and read cookie data, you will not be able to interact with almost any website and the first thing you will notice is that the cookie bar never goes away, even if you accept it, and that you are not allowing the page to keep your consent.
- By clicking on the option View all cookies and all the data of the website, a list is displayed with all the cookies that you have put in your browser, and you can see the amount of each one you have and who it is also. From there you can delete the ones you want or all of them directly.
- If you do not want to block cookies and only want to delete them, you can do it in 2 ways:
- Being on any page in your Google Chrome browser, press on the computer keyboard the CRTL + SHIFT + DEL combination and you will go directly to a popup window where you can delete the navigation data you want, including cookies.
- You can also go to this popup window by going to point 4 above, but in point 5 you must choose the last option, which will be Clear browsing data, and it will take you to the same popup window as the previous option.
- The erasing of the cache can be done from the same place where we choose to delete the cookies.
INTERNET EXPLORER: We explain how to access the cookies of this browser so that you can customize them as it suits you, deleting or blocking according to your needs.
I’m going to do it on version 11.285.17134.0 Internet Explorer 11, if you have a different version, some things may not be exactly the same. To know the version of your browser you must go to the gear and then choose About Internet Explorer.
The steps to follow are those:
- First go to Tools, which is the gear icon on the top right.
- Now select Internet Options.
- In the pop-up window that appears, go to the Privacy tab.
- Now you must click on the Advanced button that is in the Settings box.
- Finally, in the pop-up window, you can configure the options of Accept, Block or Ask both origin and third-party cookies.
- If you only want to delete the cookies, you have two options:
- from any window in the Internet Explorer browser, press on your computer keyboard the combination of CRTL + SHIFT + DELETE and it will appear in a popup window and in it you have the option to Delete the browsing history and one of the options that appear are the cookies.
- follow the first two steps before but in the third choose the Content tab, then click on the Settings button in the AutoComplete section, and finally in the pop-up window that appears, click on the button Delete the Autocomplete history … Now you are in the same popup window as before.
- To clear the cache, in this last pop-up window that you get, you must check the box Temporary Internet files and files of websites, this way by clicking on Delete, you will have done it.
MOZILLA FIREFOX: I’ll show you where is the customization menu of this browser’s cookies, so you can adapt them according to your preferences.
The version on which we are going to show you the steps is the 62.0 Firefox Quantum, if any of Our options is not exactly the same as yours, it may be because you have other versions in your browser. To know the version you are using you must go to the icon of the 3 dashes above on the right, then below the whole select Help, and to end up all over again. About Firefox.
Now we indicate the exact steps you must take:
- You have to go to Open menu which is the icon of the 3 dashes above on the right, as in all browsers.
- Now select Options.
- Next in the new tab, from the side menu choose Privacy & Security.
- Now go down to the third section that is cookies and site data.
- Here you have all the options to manage the cookies of this browser. You can, through 3 buttons, Clean data …, Manage data …, set Exceptions … You can also mark to Accept or Block cookies, and put them date of automatic deletion.
- If you only want to delete the cookies without blocking any, you can as always in 2 ways:
- directly from the 3 buttons that we mentioned in step 6,
- or, as in the other browsers, you press on your computer keyboard the combination of CRTL + SHIFT + DEL and it will emerge to a window, on it displaying on the arrow Details you can select everything you want to clean, and of course a of those options are cookies.
- To clear the cache is exactly from the same place where cookies are deleted.
SAFARI FOR OSX: Here’s how to get to the customization screen for cookies on these devices.
The version on which we show you how to do it is Safari 5.1 OS X Lion, if something is different in your browser, it may be because we have different browser versions.
Follow the following steps to do it:
- You must have Safari open and then you have to go to Preferences.
- Once in this new screen choose Privacy.
- Inside the section Block cookies you can specify that Safari accepts or not the cookies of the websites, or when you want them to do so. In that same screen you also have a Help button that explains how to do it in a simple way.
- If what you want to see is that webs have saved cookies in your browser you simply have to click on Details when you are in point 2.
Internet Samsung: I’ll tell you where exactly you have to click to get to the screen where you can block cookies or delete both the cookies and the cache.
The version of the Samsung Internet app with which we will guide you is 7.4.00.70, if some point is not exactly the same, you know why it can be. To know the version of the app you must go to the 3 dots above on the right, then click on Settings and finally, on the new screen that appears below you, and select About Internet Samsung.
Follow the steps that we explain below:
- Execute the browser and click on the icon of the 3 dots that is located on the top right.
- In the drop-down menu, select Settings.
- In the new window that opens you must go to Privacy.
- Now you can block them simply by leaving the Accept cookies button disabled.
- In this screen if you select Delete browsing data, you will get another popup window from which you can select what you want to delete and one of those things, of course, are cookies.
- The cache is deleted in this same place indicated in the previous point.
Chrome: I’ll show you the steps you should follow if you want to block cookies or delete both the cookies and the cache.
We will guide you through the version of the Chrome app 69.0.3497.100, if something does not match at all it may be due to this. To know the version of the app you must go to the 3 dots above on the right, then click on Help and comments, on the new screen that appears you press again on the 3 dots above on the right, and finally , in the drop-down menu you have to choose the option Information of the version.
Now you must follow the following points:
- Execute the browser and click on the 3 dots that are on the top right.
- In the drop-down menu, you must choose Settings.
- In the new window that opens, in the Advanced section you must go to Privacy.
- A new window will open and you have to scroll down all the way to Delete browsing data.
- Now another window opens in which you have 2 tabs, BASIC and ADVANCED.
- In the tab of BASICS you can mark both the browsing history box, as well as the cookie and cache history, and then, at the bottom, click on DELETE DATA. There is a drop-down where you can select the time interval you want everything selected to be deleted.
- In the other ADVANCED tab, you have the same options, broken down, to make a more separate selection if you prefer, it even tells you the quantities, elements and MB stored. You must select everything you want and click on DELETE DATA at the bottom. Here you will also find a drop-down where you can choose the time interval you want to eliminate from everything selected.
- To block cookies on the same screen as in point 2, also in the Advanced section, you must now click on Site Settings.
- Now select cookies and in the new screen that appears you can uncheck the boxes if you do not want to allow web pages to put cookies in your mobile browser Chrome.
SAFARI FOR iOS: It is quite easy to access the personalization screen and delete the cookies on an iPhone (keep in mind that it could vary a bit depending on the iOS version of your mobile):
- You have to go to Settings and then choose Safari.
- To not allow cookies you simply have to activate the tab of Block all cookies.
- In this same screen, if you want to delete the cookies, the cache and the browsing history, you simply click on Clear history and website data, which is below all.
- But if what you prefer is simply to delete the cookies, keeping the browsing history and the cache you must follow this route Settings> Safari> Advanced> Data of websites and finally you must click on Delete all data.